In today's episode, Pilar talks through the things we can tweak as individuals, to make our virtual meetings comfortable. 19:25mins
Virtual meetings are gradually becoming one more way of talking to those you work with. And if organisations want their employees from different departments to network with each other, to increase the chances of innovation, they should be encouraging the use of video meetings.
Talking to others through a screen might feel a bit unnatural if you're not used to it, so here are five things to look out for to help you feel at ease.
(For episodes on running virtual meetings, check out episode 107 Facilitating Virtual Meetings with Nancy Settle-Murphy and episode 13 on Collocated and Virtual Meetings
(1) Pay attention to your background and any windows behind you.
(2) Remember that you have a chat function.
(3) Remember that you can mute yourself. (Don’t wait for others to get so fed up with you they mute you!)
(4) Do you need to see yourself?
Pilar mentions this article http://www.hrdive.com/news/study-videoconferencing-is-more-effective-when-you-cant-see-yourself/439772/
(5) Better to have an audio conversation than an annoying video one.